For First-Year Ph.D. Students
Not Voodoo Home / Notes on Special Topics / Comments?
Theory and Philosophy
- Recordkeeping Notes, for help keeping track of information, experimental data and ideas in preparation for writing your thesis.
- Literature Notes, for an overview on synthetic organic resources.
- Desert Island Textbooks; Desert Island Reviews and Reference Books
- Anatomy of a reaction: a general roadmap.
- The Tour of Collective Wisdom for opinions from the synthetic organic chemistry community.
- A Day in the Life of Successful Graduate Student or Post-doctoral Researcher.
In the Laboratory
- How to wash your glassware
- What do you need to start experiments?: Bench Essentials
- Reagent Notes, for perspective on all the different chemicals in the lab.
- Desert Island tools, tables, charts, and graphs.
- Running a reaction the first time through, and safely leaving the lab without ruining your experimental results.
- Try to avoid Rookie Mistakes.
- Magic Formulas
- Always and Never: Basic practical tips for laboratory.
- Rules of Thumb: Numerical guidelines for experimental success.
- How To carry out laboratory procedures.